This a favorite recipe of my Ex-wife, 2 former roommates, and the current girlfriend. It is so simple but so delicious. It is meant to serve two perfectly as a main dish or 4 as a side. Just double the ingredients to serve more.
- 1 tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
- Fresh Ground Pepper
- 1 Medium Onion Roughly Chopped
- 2 Cloves of Garlic Smashed
- 4 Cups of Vegetable Stock
- 1 Can (28 Ounces) of Peeled Whole Tomatoes with Juices
- 1/3 Cup of White Wine
- 1/4 Cup of Fresh Basil Roughly Chopped
- 1/4 Cup of Heavy Cream
- A Pinch of Red Chili Flakes
- Sauté onions over medium heat, with a pinch of salt and pepper until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add garlic and sauté until aromatic, about 30 seconds.
- Add tomatoes, wine, and vegetable stock with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Rapidly Simmer until the soup has reduced by half and the tomatoes have softened, stirring occasionally. Add the basil and simmer for 5 minutes more.
- When the Basil has wilted after 5 minutes, remove from heat, and transfer the soup to a blender, puree, then return the soup to the pan.
- Add the cream and chili flakes to the pan and return to a simmer.
- Reduce the soup to the preferred consistency, or thin with water as needed, season to taste liberally with salt and pepper then serve.
Preparation time: 15 minute(s)
Cooking time: 40 minute(s)
Diet type: Vegetarian
Number of servings (yield): 2
Culinary tradition: USA (Traditional)
For a printer friendly copy of this recipe, click the “share” button on the right.